Spring Flowers

Spring Flowers
For Sale

Sunday, December 27, 2009

Sacré Coeur de Montmartre - Paris

DSC_0292
 
When Camillo and I visited Paris for 4 days back in '94, one of the sites that he made sure he showed me was the Basilica of the sacred heart in Montmartre or Basilique du Sacré Coeur de Montmartre. DSC_0294DSC_0293
 
DSC_0316DSC_0308     
DSC_0342I remember being up at the top of the stairs, I can remember climbing them or at least a lot of them. I don't remember being inside the basilica. Yesterday we went back up - by taxi this time - and only climbed the last 50 or so.  We stood in line to get inside. There was a massive crowd both inside and outside of the cathedral.  Photos were not allowed inside. Talking wasn't allowed (no one paid any attention to this there was quite an undercurrent of noise.)   I would have loved to show you the inside....  it has many mosaics of very intricate detail that only a photo could show you how beautiful they are. The no photo rule made no sense to me, even Notre Dame allows photos with no flash, but there was a bookstore that opened up directly into the nave that sold color photos cards (???) maybe there is a business reason for the rule.
DSC_0312  
DSC_0319DSC_0317DSC_0326DSC_0376  
DSC_0377
 
We paid to go up in the bell tower, was worth the 5 euro each, and the 300 step climb.  You can at least get a good idea of the architecture up close..... enjoy.
 
(sorry for the order of the photos - the internet connection is so bad - every time I moved one around it became worse or the connection dropped and I lost everything.... patience is NOT my middle name) 

5 comments:

  1. That's one of my favourite parts of Paris. I hope you're loving your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures that brought back some memories. I think that behind the church on top of the hill there is a district or park full of sidewalk artists.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember, when I visited Paris for the first time in the early 1960's, coming away far more impressed by Basilique du Sacré Coeur de Montmartre than any other monument, even the Eiffel Tower.

    You've brought back many memories for me today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I view it as 'creative license' :)

    Just too cool, way too cool for any other words...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes Mar k, around behind is the Montmartre distric - there used to be street artist and great restaurants, now to our loss there were 100s of tourists and even more drawers of faces and really bad oils for sale and 'pizza' can you imagine.... to much change and not always for the better....maybe more people traveling with children.

    ReplyDelete