Spring Flowers

Spring Flowers
For Sale

Friday, February 25, 2011

Shooting from the Hip in Rio

This week’s Friday (My Town) Shoot-out topic is Shooting from the hip.  I found this fun, (really) trying something different with the camera, but I didn’t really have success with it.  I didn’t get even one photo that I would call interesting or beautiful.  I will still share a few with you because if nothing else I am a good sport. 

I found that I couldn’t shoot while walking – therefore shooting from the hip, being spontaneous, or secretive or on the sly.  I would have to stop and move my body around so I didn’t take a picture of my leg or of the ground and stand still making sure the camera was quiet so the photo wasn’t blurred.  Also except for the fact that all of them are at an angle they are of the same topics I would shoot normally – looking through the eye piece.  Is this the way it is supposed to be?   I finally turned the camera upside down so I could keep my finger on the ‘click’ button and still keep the camera steady.  Not really shooting from the hip -

Last Sunday, Camillo and I walked to the hippy square and I clicked the camera all along the way.  The title of this post could be ‘to the market and home’  a walk along the Rua.  Shooting at this angle does give you a better sense of the context of the photo.  Some sky, some sidewalk, a little broader photo than just the straight up shot.  hop you enjoying walking to the market on a hot Sunday morning. 

SAM_0524 SAM_0530   

 

15 comments:

  1. Looks like a great place to walk, Ginger, and a fun Shootout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought this was fun too Ginger. Nothing outstanding just the route I took that day. Yes you had a great route to shoot for.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh oh I loved the sideways shots..wonderful from the hip shots! I loved all the legs and the artwork of course!! Wonderful from the hip shots!!
    Sarah :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great shots, Ginger. Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You really captured the true view of shooting from the hip. The angles and scenes really give the impresssion of being shot from below. As always, wonderful color and take on the theme! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed these Ginger. Interesting angles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ginger, that photo stack is amazing, just love all the unusual angles. I swear some of them would be better than 'straight up' shots. That one of the man laying on the ground, has so much more impact from lower down, I think. How on earth do you do that photo stack?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do think one of the best lessons learned from this shootout exercise (for myself) was perhaps to dare explore different angles rather than the usual efforts to just keep the camera straight! I think you got some good shots out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. PS You asked about spring where I live; well March is sometimes counted as the first spring month, but very unreliable. This winter has been long and cold so I expect spring will be late.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like the crowd shot!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like a great place to walk along with the camera!

    ReplyDelete
  12. nice slide show Ginger. most of my photos were tilted also. I held the camera in front of me and just snapped away! this was a fun shoot out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. your town looks good to me and a fun place to walk. i like the different views and think they look cool slanted.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ginger,
    I almost never go into my comments section. Tonight I did and found three comments from you in my spam folder!!! Obviously I published them. This only happened one other time on blogger with another of my blog friends. Sorry!!! And thank you for taking the time to come by!

    ReplyDelete