Spring Flowers

Spring Flowers
For Sale

Thursday, August 05, 2010

FSO – Smells of Brasil

DSC_1547When in Friburgo I live in a forest.  This is not the forest of Germany or of the Northern USA – when you walk there you smell the pines, pine needles on the ground or the smell of whet leaves on the floor of the forest.
Here the forest smells of vegetation, whet vegetation, often rotting vegetation.  The smell of mold, mildews and fungus is dominant even in our garden.  Outside our fence with the years of buildup from the forest trees and plants the smell of vegetation tells me the life cycle of a sub tropical forest.
Today it has been foggy all day, no rain just whet and it is easy to smell the humidity as it saturates the ground, the trees, the stones.  There is a constant turnover of flowers, leaves, seeds (pine nuts) out in the garden.  Inside the fence this is kept swept and the ground clean, but there is still signs of the constant moisture.  Among all of these smell, on the breeze will come the smell of a lone flower – light and lemony – even the bees can’t resist.

These photos have been taken only during this winter, this dry season. 

SAM_0969 DSC_4697 DSC_4691
SAM_0959 DSC_0805 DSC_0888 DSC_0887 DSC_4554   DSC_4216 DSC_0056
you got lucky I almost did this post about the smell in the supermarket’s dried meat and fish department.
DSC00189
Yep on the right is pigs feet!  YUCK!

15 comments:

  1. Awesome pics! Thanks for sharing these, I really enjoy your site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful shootout, Ginger. You have a lovely forest. I would never get tired of walking though it and seeing/smelling/hearing all that goes on there.
    Smells of the meat market would have been interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Ginger, I thought you said you had no enthusiasm this week, then you come up with this. This is a glorious post!! Somehow I want to touch as much as smell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved your pics until I got to the last one I wrinkled my nose just at the very look of it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all of the earthy smells!! Great shots too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous, Ginger. You really captured the mosses and lichens and molds and fungus and such. Such beauty, even in decay....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Ginger it looks alot like up here in the Pacific NW...lots of decomp and fungus - beautiful though..but not this time of year as it is warm and very dry!! Wonderful shootout as always...and am with ya there ewwww pigs feet!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sarah is right; it does look like our neck of the woods! There is even a place in town that sells pig's feet and noses. Your butcher shop has some other kind of crazy looking stuff in it, and I love it that you took this picture. "weird foods"...now there could be another topic for us...

    ReplyDelete
  9. You capture the moss beautifully, I almost could smell them here!

    ReplyDelete
  10. interesting post Ginger! I always enjoy my little visit to your area of the world. now I know the smells also. great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Being a Chinese, I eat everything, until I married my husband. Though he is a Chinese, he does not. I love pig trotter or pig's feet. Don't cook them now because he doesn't eat it.

    I think the weather has something to do with the smell of the Lantana. They really smell bad here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yes, there is those salted fish, and pickled shrimp paste. Can smell like excretement, but yummy to others. Again I don't eat them now because of the family.

    I don't know in Brazil, here the Maoris soak their sweet corn in a creek until they are rotten. I have never tried that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I never would have thought the a forest could smell bad, but the moss covered landscape sure is beautiful. Your photos are really good.

    Your last photo made me chuckle and yes, I am so glad that you didn't do your entire post on the meats in the supermarket. I have a very narrow palate and a weak stomach when it comes to food.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like this post- if I was not traveling with hubby (work paid for me to go!) I would have loved doing this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. From my German heritage - Pig's feet or pork hocks with sauerkraut YUM!! The gelatinous 'stuff' is supposed to be great for our joints - that's what grandma always said, lol!

    ReplyDelete