Spring Flowers

Spring Flowers
For Sale

Friday, September 10, 2010

Back up a few days….

DSC_5496 I am writing this with no real hope of posting for at least two days.   No internet connection here in Montalcino (Mont al chino).  I have a fantastic view out my little window, but no elevators, no internet and, the true test, tonight we will start DSC_5503at dinner time with tasting the local wines. 
I need to back track a bit – 5 days or so actually – and tell you more about Arezzo and the Joust – Giostra del Saracino – This years was the 120th festival - 2 a year for 60 years – restarted in 1930 these are re-enactment of joust from the 12 – to 1500s.  There were three days of functions – activities like the qualification of horse and Knight, and the prayer at the Duomo to ask for their protection.
 

DSC_5541

DSC_5418

DSC_5529

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I want to say that this was  Fun, fun, FUN.  Arezzo is beautiful, has some nice restaurants (Ristorantes) and the pageantry, costumes, seriousness of the fans - helped to make us feel that we were truly in medieval times.  The city is divided into 4 quadrants.  Each has its own colors, flags, banners, two horses, two Knights, a marching band (drums and trumpets), and friends and family that come out in full dress to support their knight.  One full day was taken up with meetings within the quadrants of all fans for the knights and the colors.  Regular tourists - like us - choose a color to cheer and wore shirts

 
and /or scarves with the colors or banners clearly shown.  Leneira chose the green and white and I the red and blue – because I liked the horses of the red and blue and as luck would have it My TEAM Won!!!! lah, li, LA, lah, la, LA!!!
 
Sunday afternoon, just as the sun was setting behind us the main piazza filled with cheering crowds and the games began.  hope you enjoy the photos -
 
  DSC_5518 DSC_5524 DSC_5552
 
DSC_5553 DSC_5555 DSC_5563
 
DSC_5619 DSC_5922 DSC_5934 DSC_6005
 
DSC_6064 DSC_6097
 
DSC_6203 DSC_6227
 
I tried to select special photos – but there were so many – I think I took 600+ photos of this pageant and do not have my computer to look closely at them, so  I hope these look okay when you see them on your computer. 
 
***It didn’t take two days – I am stealing internet connection  - probably from the expensive hotel just to the west of us and our ‘normal’ peoples B&B.

4 comments:

  1. wow! what fun Ginger. many stripes and lines here. and love all the color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the one where they blow like trumpets.

    I wish I had the means to have gone with you. I will stay in the expensive hotel and you can Steal my internet. LOLOLOLOL

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just catching up Ginger.
    This pageant is certainly colourful, and looks like they put everything into it. Like stepping back in time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful!!!! Yes, you definitely did a good job choosing special photos for this post. LOVE the trumpeters in the red/black/white all in a row. As well as the trumpets close up, the horses eye!!!, the little boy in the street....wow. All of them, but those are the ones that stood out to me the most. Lovely. Truly, stunningly lovely.

    ReplyDelete