Spring Flowers

Spring Flowers
For Sale

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Downtown Houston

On Saturday and Sunday, Patty and I, and Marissa were downtown at the George R Brown convention center for a volleyball tournament. I am not the best spectator – I prefer to be in the middle of the action. Remember my complaints about the bloco during carnival in Friburgo – the time spent sitting and waiting? I enjoyed watching Marissa play, she is super energetic and right in the middle of the game but to sit for 6 hours is just beyond my abilities to chill out. I had to get out every hour or so and walk around. With my camera. I didn’t do any people watching, just enjoyed the colors and the architectural lines of the buildings.

DSC_1750 George R Brown Convention Center – built in 1987 and expanded in 2001 – the convention center was dubbed by one of the local artsy papers as the least photogenic building in the downtown area. I would disagree. I took photos inside and out and if I knew what I was doing might have gotten some really good photos. DSC_1831 DSC_1832

DSC_1751 Discovery Green park – The last time I was at the convention center for a – convention – across the street was a large – ugly – concrete parking lot. Now there is a green area with ponds and fountains and restaurants – benches and walking paths –even with it being the tail end of winter it was beautiful and had hundreds of families enjoying the outdoors and the bright sunlight. Under – yes Brazilians read this – under the park is a car park for upwards of 600 cars. Isn’t that clever – and all day event parking is only $10.00. DSC_1764 DSC_1760

DSC_1761 The best of all, a 151 paneled, 1500 aluminum boxes in 65 colors ‘Synchronicity’ designed by artist Margo Sawyer, which is actually the cover to the stairwells down into the parking garage. I will show the other one in a second post…. This was the highlight of my day…. no seeing Marissa’s team win second place was the BEST.

DSC_1767
DSC_1768 DSC_1772 DSC_1790

DSC_1912 DSC_1891 DSC_1904 Hilton Americas-Houston - Attached by a walkway on the southern end of the convention center is the new convention-center Hilton. I don’t mean to advertise this hotel chain, I don’t have a clue of the pricing or the value but the inside of the building is beautiful. In two areas are chandeliers made of what looks like blown glass. While I was there wondering around with my camera (I am sure that they wouldn’t have let me take photos if anyone had been paying attention) I kept thinking this is a concept in line and color and light …. My eye was just pleased by the spaces I saw inside and out of the convention center Houston. 

 DSC_1920

3 comments:

  1. Great pictures Ginger; and what a great idea, car park under a park.
    Love those aluminum boxes, so colourful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ginger this is a great Post I loved it.. how are you Dear? Like the parking lot and all of it,


    yvonne

    ReplyDelete