Spring Flowers

Spring Flowers
For Sale

Friday, August 10, 2012

Children of the generations

DSC_1977Last Month Camillo, Patty, Marissa and I were in Adrian, Michigan for Mom’s 90th birthday.  Of my generation, Mom’s seven children, five were there.  My oldest sister Connie and the youngest Nancy were not able to come, and none of their children or grandchildren were there.  With two branches of the family missing, we still managed to have over 40 family members to enjoy a weekend with several casual dinners, and one formal with the cake and happy birthday song. 

Connie’s family, with her 3 children and grand-children and I am sure Great- Grandchildren – having any of those come and join us would have given Mom some of her children, some of the grandchildren a few of her great-grandchildren and a sample of Mom’s Great-Great Grandchildren….. wouldn’t that have been something.  I won’t be sad that that opportunity was missed just will say that for those that were able to make the party it was a wonderful celebration.  (The picture above: Mom, Uncle Ralph, the middle sisters – Judy, Candy and Ginger, baby brothers – Dave and Harry.  You can see that as usual I was not paying attention.  Mom will tell you that talking is one of my talents – paying attention is not.)

There was one cousin, of my generation, and one of my father’s brothers; my gosh - I was in high school the last time I saw these two.  Time just keep moving along.  Mom and Uncle Ralph the only remaining from their generation; the last of our family that lived through the great depression and WWII. 

DSC_1996

Mom and Uncle Ralph with about half of her grandkids and a small fraction of the great-grandkids.  I do wish the rest could have been there, then we would have had to rent bleachers to get everyone in the photo.

Many of these children had not met each other until that luncheon.  Children understand ‘family’ and were immediately best friends.  (My two are in the middle of the back row)  For adults it is harder to make instant connection but by the end of the time together were talking, well like family. 

 

 

DSC_1928

  All the cousins – second cousins - Mom’s great-grandkids getting ready for the cake and singing happy birthday.  DSC_1939

     

 

DSC_1912

and finally the future generation’s family photographer.

2 comments:

  1. What a great gathering of children of different generations. Don't you just love how children, as you say, understand family and instantly become friends? Just love the shot of the littlest photographer - no guessing where that gene came from, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post Ginger. There is nothing like a big family reunion. Just as in my family there are 5 generations now and almost impossible to get them all together. Blessings
    QMM

    ReplyDelete