Spring Flowers

Spring Flowers
For Sale

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

hanging by the toenails....

In Rio and waiting for the days to pass so I can travel home to see my family, I walked to the end of Ipanema, the end between Ipanema and Copacabana called the Aporador. Climbing around on the rocks and enjoying the ocean sights and breezes, taking photos as I always do - I thought this cactus as an apt metaphor for LIFE , my life in particular. How do you like that? Its roots clinging precariously to the rocks, its flowers delicate and its fruit sweet (well I can take poetic license here), its protective thorns dangerous but not deadly, this desert plant growing in the land of palm trees - thriving because it is designed to survive despite its location, despite the weather, surviving because it draws nourishment from its surroundings. Possibly this is a lesson I could learn.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ginger, I just wanted to say I really love your blog, I've been reading it for a while now, I love Brazil too even though I've never been there, hehe, but that's my dream. I was just wondering if you could give me some advice on how to move there, I have a medical assistant degree, but I heard the best way to move there is to teach English? I wouldn't mind doing that, I'm just afraid to take the leap, because I don't know where to start! Also, I learned Spanish and I speak it almost fluently, but I don't know any Portuguese, but I've been studying it, and it's kind of easy since Spanish is so similiar, but is proficiency in Portuguese an absolute requirement to teach English in Brazil, or is it okay to be sort of - you know? By the way, I'm from California too! Hehe. Thanks so much, take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Richie, there are many thing I can tell you about being here but how to get here and if it possible to teach English for a living this I don't know about. Some facts - the dollar does not have enough value to aid in the cost of living here - if you want to live here you have to earn enough here to cover the costs. Cost of living is high in Rio. (don't know about outlying areas or favelas) You have to have a work visa or a resident card to work here (legally - and that is the only way I would recommend)If you are not legal you get paid NOTHING! Teaching Spanish is a much needed skill. Medical assistant may be a much needed skill.
    if you want to 'talk' send me your email address - gingerv@gigalink.com.br

    ReplyDelete