Spring Flowers

Spring Flowers
For Sale

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Space – a place to go

This week’s My Town Friday Shoot-out is Space – give your subject a place to go, or show where they’ve been.  This topic is more about photography, about learning to use our cameras to take better photographs than it is about our towns but I know it is going to be one of the good topics and look forward to everyone’s posts. 

In my habit of showing photos of whatever town I am in on any given Friday I will be showing my interpretation of SPACE in Rio.  Thank goodness we came into Rio today.  I needed a couple of days in Rio to shop and pack before I leave for Houston on Sunday so I have a distinct advantage, I hunted down a few photos from my archives of ‘Around Rio’.  Except for the photos off our balcony at the house in Friburgo, which you all have seen a gazillion times, I would be hard pressed to find shots of open spaces in the city of Nova Friburgo. In a narrow valley with narrow curving streets lined with buildings and crowded with cars and people create the opposite feeling; the feeling of being hemmed in, claustrophobic,  it would definitely be hard to find an open space to show you.  

Before I show you my photos for this week I want to tell you that I will be doing the Friday Shoot-out from Houston, Texas all of the month of June and some of July.  I will also be in Adrian, Michigan for one of the shoot-outs in July but that week we will be celebrating my Mother’s 90th birthday and most of my brothers and sisters will be there, can’t guarantee I will give you any photos for the Friday we are there, but you will get to see some family shots after I return to Rio…. we will just have to wait and see how the subjects chosen for July works into my travel plans. 

Okay some space to move in Rio.

     1st day at the beach rio (21) crop      beach and bady board (9) crop

These first two are older photos -  2005 – the visit Carl and Marissa to the beach in Ipanema for the first time (ages 14 and 9).  And Marissa beside herself with joy.

DSC01729 crop   DSC05507 crop

My favorite time at the beach – Winter, July of any year finds Brazilians shivering, wearing boots and jackets, and staying away from the beach – leaving it empty for US!

 DSC_2044 crop    DSC00840

See you next week from Houston.

15 comments:

  1. Love your shots on the beach in Rio. I am really learning a lot about photography because I can see that the space really does make these shots better. Look forward to seeing your Houston and maybe Michigan shots. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I simply can't decide which one I prefer as all of them are so well taken with a story to tell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely interpretations of the theme. The shot of Marissa cartwheeling is superb and such a good example too. Safe journey and enjoy your stay in the States.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow your header is beautiful. I have learned so much from these last few weeks. I like this rule of space. I am going to try some painting using this same idea. Have a safe and joyful trip dear sista.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of space in your beach photos!!! Also love your header photo of the water lily. Wishing you a good summer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cartwheel looks fun! I'm too old for that now days!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great captures--I like the floating leaf the best..

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are all beautiful pictures and the children make the beach look so inviting, but there is something about that leaf in the water that I really like. I was a bit lazy when making my post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the beach shots, especially the cartwheel. And the leaf, gently floating towards you. Look forward to your travel shoot outs and hope you have a lovely holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These photos are so inviting. Love the space in these photos and I would love to be in some of those spaces. :))

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a joyful cartwheel on the beach...and glad she has some space into which to wheel...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great space! I love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great pictures.i like the beach pics..so nice...

    ReplyDelete