Spring Flowers

Spring Flowers
For Sale

Thursday, May 17, 2012

The Fences of Nova Friburgo

Once before, in early January of 2010 FSO did fences and, if I remember right, there were some really great gates and fences that week. Even so many months and years later I can remember Scriptor Senex’s post from that week. Considering that some days I don’t remember the name of my first born this shows you how much fun that week’s topic was. And because of the great memories, I am looking forward to seeing all the new contributions to the topic this week.

DSC_1997 (2)I had to go back and read the older post again; to 023see what I had to say, to see if what I had to say is still true and to see what photos I used. I took advantage of this trip back to also read the comments, which for me is always nice. Once again I have several directions I could go.  Telling you more about our house and its fences or to show you photos of a rather nice old fence in Nova Friburgo.  I think it will be more fun to do the former now and to save the other SAM_0900for a later post. 

In March of 2010, Camillo and I adopted our first child and it became necessary to re-fence the whole property.  Taking out our cedar hedge that allowed other dogs to get onto our lot and, possibly, would allow our baby to get out, we replaced it with the great wall of china.   Eventually the WALL will be covered with ornamental ivy but for now it just looks big and gray, looming over the house and garden.  036

Post-Spritzer (PS) I don’t know how much Camillo has spent trying to keep our  garden safe.  As any good German Shepard would, Spritz loves digging holes.  He likes having only one ball at a time.  If we are foolish enough to give him two, he digs a hole, drops it in and the toy is never seen again.  He also likes to lift flower pots with his teeth and move them to other locations, tip them upside down, eat the plant – so fences DSCN0486went up around the garden outside of my office to protect my flowers. 

He has, since becoming a young adult, figured out how to open the gate and come inside (We’re in there why shouldn’t he be?) and waits patiently at the next gate for someone to leave it not quite latched, and with a bump of his nose and tug with his foot he is off and away.  Fences made of small bits of bamboo began to line the sidewalks, the ledges, the stairs into the lower garden, and then bits of wire went over those to make them higher…. you getting the picture? 

I have began to feel like I was being locked inside and Spritzer has free run of the land.

 

 037 024 031  

032035

18 comments:

  1. Beautiful place! Good looking dog too.! Hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, thanks for the visit. I know you are in love with my (Camillo's) dog - you wont believe this but we are getting ready to get him a passport and health cerficate AND the gps tracking devise so that he can travel to Europe with us.... how funny is that.

      Delete
  2. Well I am a huge fan of German Shepherds, having had them in the past, so I love your story of Spritzer! Smart fellow. I love that shot of him waiting to open the gate.

    And, gosh your Mother's Day flower photo is absolutely sensational.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Note: he has been taking the bamboo fence apart so he can jump off that ledge - he is so proud of himself that he brings us the little stakes....

      Delete
  3. I like how you have acquired the fences over time and kind of built things up. Good story to go with the good photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a very beautiful and spacious garden!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it, Ginger. I always wonder whether fences are for keeping in or keeping out. Love the great wall of china, that one certainly should do the job either way. I think my favourite is the last one with the different fences - looks like you had to do some scrambling to get that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pauline good morning - we had just finished that big wall right before the mud slides - our neighbors hill slid down to the road but luckily did not take down our new wall. Wasn't hard to that shot - Spritzer has his own three step ledge and (Lol) two openings with wrought iron bars so he can see out....I just went up his steps.

      Delete
  6. Wow you have a very beautiful garden. Just a wish I could have like that too. ^_^

    Kim,USA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Kim - the garden is what makes our house special. We hire a man 20 hours a week to keep it nice.... I get to go out and prune and plant flowers from time to time - without pressure to keep up all the work.

      Delete
  7. I always love when you show and tell about your home. I also like German Shepherds. Had them when we lived in the country. Must be terrible to have to worry about land slides. I like the 4th photo beneath the great wall of Spritzer looking up with the ball and the sun in that photo.
    Thanks for visiting.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a gorgeous garden... and Spritzer. I love the patterns and shadows of your paving slabs with all the spirals.

    ReplyDelete
  9. people who adopt kids are honourable people.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Spritz is certainly a clever boy. I can't believe how many fences you've got on your property! I really love that 'great wall.' I'll bet it's going to be beautiful when it's all covered with ivy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ginger, I think your concrete wall is very grand and stately and already looks quite decorative. Spritz sure is a pretty dog and from what I read in your post he sounds very smart too. Your property is lovely, so pretty and serene. At least your many fences are all different and attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful concrete wall and the dog behind the fence looks like he doesn't mind it all that much.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Spritzer sounds like a very smart dog! :)) You are fenced in and he's Top Dog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete