Spring Flowers

Spring Flowers
For Sale

Thursday, October 06, 2011

Proud to be an American, Part 11

DSC_0289The plan for the mini vacation that Camillo and I took here in the USA was a drive from Washington DC to Poughkeepsie NY,  then a three day drive up the Hudson valley, then across to Lake Erie and along the Lake to Adrian.  Pretty ambitious when you consider the miles involved.  We ended up reaching Poughkeepsie, spending one day in that area and then heading straight across Pennsylvania and into Ohio and up a few miles north into Adrian – DSC_0299except for one small exertion into the farmland, all by expressway.  The initial plan also included lots of fall color, a few waterfalls and the tasting of a few New York Wines.  It ended up that fall color was just beginning - not a disappointment by the way, the variation of faded greens, gold and touches of reds was beautiful -  the first planned waterfalls were closed for maintenance, the vineyards we located were closed for a special function and DSC_0319smthe other’s restaurant was only open for weekends this time of year, and I ended up with a really bad goldenrod allergy attack.  Don’t get me wrong the goldenrod that lined the highways, edged the farm fields and rimmed the forest is really beautiful, but my head locked up, gripped me, blurred my eyes – shortened my temper.   The shortened temper causing more problem then the rest, of course.  

While in the Poughkeepsie area we ate in one really good bar, Camillo ate a prime rib sandwich and a wine, and I a hamburger and a coke (designated driver).  The owners were friendly and helpful, giving us good food and instructions to a decent hotel.  The next morning it was raining but we drove up to Hyde Park to visit the home of FDR and their neighbors the Vanderbilt's.  The instead of finding a hotel for the night we backtracked and finding a freeway, headed west. 

Family home of Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt:

DSC_0328 DSC_0331 DSC_0352

DSC_0337 DSC_0355 DSC_0359 

DSC_0356 DSC_0365  DSC_0388

Vanderbilt Mansion:

DSC_0412 DSC_0482  DSC_0473 

DSC_0419  DSC_0427

DSC_0431

2 comments:

  1. I love the pictures in this post, they're so beautiful! I wish I can go to the place you took them to see the beauty of the place with my own eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice blog nice post,beautiful! and very impresive blog :)

    ReplyDelete