Spring Flowers

Spring Flowers
For Sale

Friday, September 03, 2010

MY Town FSO – The Graffiti of Verona

DSC_5114 This morning we are no longer in Verona, but have moved on to Arezzo.  It time tomorrow I will show you some of Arezzo.  I have missed a lot of what I have in Verona and area and will go back and show you more as I can, for this morning just one short note for the FSO.
In general Verona is a very clean town, at least the ancient city is kept very clean.  As we walked up and down and around and around, I saw very few instances of “writing on the walls”.  Lenira wanted very much to see the house of Juliet (Casa di Giulietta).  There were 3 GAZILLION people inside that little courtyard and centuries, well at least one season, of love letters covered the outer yard.
DSC_5110 DSC_5109 DSC_5108
 DSC_5120 DSC_5030 DSC_5041
I would say that what I saw here was love notes, written on the bells in the tower, on water pipes, in a small corner IN A CHURCH was love notes. To write on the bell someone (a romantic or foolish young man?) would have to stand on a 3 foot railing - protecting older and smarter romantics from a 4 story drop to the bells below - and reach out over this precipice to leave a sign of his (undying) love through time.
DSC_5039

12 comments:

  1. That's really neat, all those love notes. Like the bridge in Paris covered in locks. Thanks for a different view of Verona!
    Arezzo is beautiful too. I had lunch once at one of the restaurants on the main square, just salad and pizza, and wow was it good. Enjoy your visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is quite interesting. This was a fun theme, but I could find nothing in my town. I will probably spot something next week. A day too late. LOL
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Graffiti with a purpose! Love in the land of Romeo and Juliet! Perfect. The perfect approach to this theme...You always seem to have so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those walls are so interesting...how many love notes in how many languages do you think are up there??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes yes yes! on Bagman's comment...

    Love the last photo...I could write a poem to that...would it spiral downward, or lead to something playful...see here I go LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! What a sight--so much "love" one area. Thanks for the great topic this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First, I love your new header. Second, your post is fascinating. I love the idea of all of those love letters. The subject is close to my heart as I am a true romantic. Love letters. What a great way to leave our mark in history. Your photos really spoke to me. There isn't one that I don't like.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Having a fear of heights, I am quite impressed by the note on the bell. I like that wall of love notes to Juliet, how fun! I'm glad you are enjoying your Italian adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful, Ginger. You have given us a totally different perspective! Graffiti love notes - I will have to think on that, perhaps I will change my attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  10. nice graffiti you have found. the walls are so colorful also. no graffiti in my town that I know of. small town so not much going on.

    ReplyDelete