Spring Flowers

Spring Flowers
For Sale

Thursday, June 17, 2010

My town Friday Shoot-out / Rocks large and small

One thing that this area of Brasil has is ROCKS – large and small rocks.  While waiting in a traffic jam today I glanced out the car window, looking at the garden center’s selection of decorative ‘stuff’ and there, right in front of me were bags of little rocks.  I thought, only for a second, I should park the car and take pictures.  There were clear plastic sacks of odd sized white stones (rocks), bags of brown stones, and piles of river bottom stone there for the choosing.  I didn’t stop.  Even though they define as synonyms – we say stepping stone not stepping rock, and garden stone not garden rocks…. paving stones not paving rocks…. so stick and stones may break my bones but changing the words will never hurt me…  (As you can see rocks and stones are interchangeable in my vocabulary.)  The Christ the train and the view (53)
Because I am going to be in Rio for the weekend – starting Friday morning - I really want to show you photos of the rock outcrops famous to the Rio skyline.  Geologically these outcrops are “monolithic morros of granite and quartz that rise straight from the water's edge around Rio de Janeiro”  You can see these in any movie about Brasil, you never see movies with Sao Paulo or Brasilia in them – always Rio.  Spectacular for taking photos – as I and every movie producer knows.
Taken from atop the platform of the most famous O Cristo Redentor (Christ the Redeemer) – from high above the city  you can see that Copacabana sits on the ocean and is encased in ROCK.   The Christ is visible from almost every barrio in Rio, except the Barra, including the lagoa and Ipanema (my stomping ground).  To see him from a new location / a different angle - his presence a constant joy to look at and to photograph. DSC00839DSC00850
 DSC06407
DSC_1299 DSC00471 DSC00891
On the south end of Ipanema / Leblon is the rock formation call the two brothers (Dois Irmãos ).  It is also recognizable in commercials and movies.  I have seem them surrounded by fog while the rest of the city is bright sunshine (the Christ and the sugarloaf (Pão de Açúcar))also have moments surrounded by clouds).  One very good reason to spend at least a week here when visiting Brasil – increasing your odds of seeing for yourself all the fantastic views of the city.  
DSC00973 DSC00941 DSC00761 DSC06637
From the lagoa, on the left is the Dois Irmãos and in the center Pedra Gavea (Pedra = stone).  I think this gives you an idea of what ROCKs you might find in Brasil.  Great topic ChefE.

11 comments:

  1. You have some gorgeous rock formations there, something we lack here in my urban little island.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ginger, I am going to see those beautiful sights in their many different moods one day. I know I am! But I can only dream about capturing them as you do. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you really do have a big advantage this week Ginger! Rio! These are beautiful awe-inspiring photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What stone is the O Cristo Redentor made of? The sculptor is very very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once again I'm overcome with the urge to get out of this office and go see Brasil in person. Great photos, Ginger!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ann - straight from Wikipedia -" statue of Jesus Christ in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil; considered the largest Art Deco statue in the world.[1] The statue is 39.6 metres (130 ft) tall, including its 9.5 meter (31 feet) pedestal, and 30 metres (98 ft) wide. It weighs 635 tons (700 short tons), and is located at the peak of the 700 metres (2,300 ft) Corcovado mountain in the Tijuca Forest National Park overlooking the city. It is one of the tallest of its kind in the world. A symbol of Christianity, the statue has become an icon of Rio and Brazil.[2] It is made of reinforced concrete and soapstone, and was constructed between 1922 and 1931.[1][3][4]

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Ginger, these are spectacular. Great subject, great photos and lots of information. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. it is so beautiful there Ginger! you are a lucky person to see this everyday. I would say the fourth and last two are my favs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I kept coming back here to see this post, i love looking at the rock photos such a lovely view. I love the photos especially the last one. It's perfect postcard photo. You urge me to visit Brazil. Such a wow.

    FSO really makes us appreciate our own place and it the way to see other parts of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, it just looks like such a beautiful place!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You would have "thunk" I could have at least "done" rocks. For Pete's sake, how are is it to find rocks? And who is Pete, anyway?

    Lovely rocks you have there in Brazil.

    BTW, great job on the new shootout blog. I love it.

    ReplyDelete